Sep 23, 2011

Got an Itch (or Two)

For the last week, off and on and not daily, I've had itchy palms and the occasional itchy foot. Yesterday it was intense on my feet. I was wearing dress shoes without hose or anything so I am thinking that didn't help. I have read that pregnant women can get itchiness without rashes on their palms of their hands and soles of the feet, and that it may mean obstetric cholestasis. I haven't reported it to my OB but if I am still having it in October when my next appointment is I will bring it up most definitely. I am hoping that the itching I have right now is an flux of hormones because I am only in the middle of my second trimester and everything I've read about cholestasis occurs in late pregnancy. Fingers crossed (when they aren't scratching) that it is nothing. I also have dry skin on my legs and arms, but right now my belly is fine. Been drinking lots of water but I'm only finding that I've been visiting the restroom a lot more frequently.

My second itch may be related to the first if it does have to do liver function. Today is the first day of autumn (not related) but it has been about 4 months since I've had a sip of anything alcoholic. Before pregnancy it would have taken will power not to drink at gatherings but I haven't had the urge. At first I was queasy so it was easy. Now it feels more like habit not to drink. But today, while I am at work, I had the craving for a nice glass of wine. Maybe not even to drink but to smell and hold and swirl. Oh well. I wonder if the itchiness is related to drinking before pregnancy...

No comments:

Post a Comment