Nov 3, 2011

Counting Carbs

On October 24 I took the 1 hour glucose screening test and failed by a measly 6 points (cutoff is 140 and I had 146). Could have been because my breakfast took place within the hour of the testing and then I drank the orange syrup. The syrup wasn't bad; it tasted like the syrup they put on snow cones. It gave me a slight upset stomach about 15 minutes in but after that, no problems.

For the 4-hour test, I had to fast and my baseline number was 95. The cutoff is 94. All of the other numbers were fine and within range for the three hours after I drank the syrup. Had no stomach problems despite nothing else in my tummy. The night before I had a "I am Whole" bowl at Cafe Gratitude and a piece of hazelnut mousse cake. That may have contributed to the high number, plus back to back wedding weekends before the tests. :-( Wedding cakes were not my friend, but they tasted so good going down.

Now I am counting carbs for a week. I am testing my blood sugar four times a day (once fasting in the morning and then after every meal). It's a pain but has made me realize after one day that I was overeating the carbs and portions in general. We'll see if fruit is a trigger for high sugar too. I had fruit salad as a snack before lunch yesterday and my numbers ended up on the higher end of the range, but for dinner I had three small mandarin oranges and ended up below the target range.

No comments:

Post a Comment