Jan 18, 2010

Rainy Day Wedding Site Scouting

We visited a few possible wedding sites in the rain this weekend. Comparing what each costs, provides, and lacks is getting confusing--even with a spreadsheet. I am growing less certain of what I think a wedding venue should look like.

After poor directions on Google maps to not one but TWO sites in the Santa Cruz Mountains, I was beginning to think that the mountains did not want us to hold our wedding there. But we are still looking at places. And the few that we have seen have been slightly different from each other, making the process even harder. None have the exact dates we originally hoped for either. So...

Location #1: hilltop with view, ceremony site on lawn, facing the back of the building and a fountain (it's nice). Cocktail reception on the front patio, where the DJ would be set up as well for dancing after dinner. Dinner served either on the back patio or inside the main room. Decent catering menu options. Beverage portion a little iffy: I would like pinot noir as an option but the more reasonably priced menu does not offer it. I would have to negotiate something. There is lodging on an adjacent property and there would be a two night minimum for 25 cabins. The cabins (we haven't seen them yet) are over $200 a night plus an additional fee for each person (this is for the meals that are included in the Weekend package). It sounds nice but I wonder if we could find cheaper digs in the area and just have a ceremony and reception there.

Location #2: small yard enclosed (in warmer weather) by blooming trees and flowers. A B&B in a neighborhood. We would need to rent the entire place for the event (it's not that big) and they either provide items as a part of the additional site fee or they recommend vendors. But basically, we can decide what we want to do. The redwood grove looked a bit small for our estimated number of guests so we are unsure if it would work out. The owners seem very accommodating though.

Location #3: We didn't see any of the rooms inside this B&B, but there are a few cottages that have hot tubs! Ocean view and nice but small lawn. There is a deck for the reception and dancing. The storm blew down the canopy so the area was a bit messy, but it had a nice feel to it. A garden setting. Music done by 6 pm but the town is within walking distance. They have quite a few rooms in different buildings and they are close to the ceremony site so guests with little ones can sneak away if need be. We'd have to rent the property (or rather guests of the wedding would) for Friday night and Saturday night but the prices include the B&B breakfasts on Saturday and Sunday.

Another location we were considering (Vignette Weddings) informed me that they are booked for 2010, so that made it easy to check them off the possible places. I'm playing phone tag with another place that for some reason won't tell me the available dates in the months I requested, which would make it easier for me to know if this is worth a visit. It's pretty frustrating. And considering the venue, I think it is a tad ironic.

They also request a minimum number of rentals of rooms on their property and considering the number of guests from within the Bay Area, we are unsure if we could meet that number. I am unsure how many East Coasters will actually make the trek to California for a wedding and reception here when in November I hope to have a small reception at my church in NJ as well. I want it so my elderly relatives and those who cannot afford to travel across the country can still see me in my dress. But that also makes it so I feel the need to provide extra value to those who did travel to California for the actual wedding. Is that extra value providing the opportunity to visit California by wedding here?

2 comments:

  1. Hi Lorigirl!!! It is great to read your blog. I just got caught up from the beginning. Whatever you choose should be the best fit for you and the groom, and all the guests will just appreciate spending the day or weekend with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jen. We need to get together soon.

    ReplyDelete